We're here to help

ihAg's Housing Services have actively offered accommodation to single people for over 40 years and currently provide rooms for up to 55 people across 14 shared houses in Ipswich. One of these, the Safe House, is for people in recovery from drug use.

Tenants usually stay between 9 and 18 months before being supported to move on to their own accommodation.

Find out more by downloading the factsheet (opens pdf in new window).

The detached or semi-detached houses are located across Ipswich, most close to the town centre. Three to five people live in each house and have individual lockable and furnished bedsits plus a shared kitchen.

Donate money in a piggy bank

In 2020/21 it costs £155 per week to live in one of our houses. This covers rent and a service charge plus a £10 breakfast voucher. Housing Benefit may help towards the rent and we do help with the application process for benefits.

It is important to remember, each person living in a house is responsible for their rent even if not receiving Housing Benefit. 

Anyone over 18, living as a single person who has nowhere satisfactory to live, or is about to be in this situation, can register for accommodation.

Sadly, not everyone can be housed immediately and we currently cannot provide support for people who have high or complex needs.

The words roof and safety on a Scrabble board
Talk through your finances over a cup of coffee

To access any Housing Related Supported accommodation, including our houses, the first step is to register with Suffolk County Council's HRS Access System. We are happy to help you register and are constantly checking the system to see if we can help anyone listed.

Please contact us if you would like to know more about our housing or would like help with the application process.

A new home is a mix of emotions - exciting and daunting. A member of the housing team will offer regular key work sessions, to help with settling in and support with independent living skills. For example, managing money, maintaining a tenancy and preparing to move on.

Supporting holding hands
Financial planning with a calculator and cakes

Money advice is available to everyone, including tenants, via the Money Advice Service. Expert and confidential advice is provided free of charge and covers all aspects of financial advice, including accessing benefits, debt management and budgeting.

The accommodation managed by ihAg is not a long-term solution. When residents are ready to manage their own tenancy, a more permanent solution is found, usually from social housing or the private rented sector. Occasionally moving to another hostel with different support may provide a better option.

Find out more by downloading the factsheet (opens pdf in new window).